- September 4
TFMS Open House, 7:30-8:30 p.m.+, Bruce Davis Theater, MH. Come enjoy the party! Mandatory for declared and intended TFMS majors.
- September 9-10
Auditions, Much Ado About Nothing, 6:00-10:00 p.m., Bruce Davis Theater, MH. Contact the director, Michael Ellis-Tolaydo, for information.
- September 22
Eighth Annual TFMS Film Series, with filmmaker Joshua Oppenheimer ("The Act of Killing"), 7:15 p.m., Cole Cinema, Campus Center. Free and open to the public.
- October 20
Eighth Annual TFMS Film Series, with filmmaker Lynne Sachs ("Your Day Is My Night"), 8:15 p.m., Cole Cinema, Campus Center. Free and open to the public.
- October 30-31
Performances of "Falling Man, a dance-art project," with Leonard Cruz & Caitie Sullivan, 8:00 p.m. (Oct. 30) & 4:30 p.m. (Oct. 31), Boyden Gallery, MH. Free and open to the public.
Table of Contents
- Liberal Arts Mission
- Production Policy
- Requirements for the
Theater Studies Major
- Requirements for the
Film and Media
Studies Major [pdf]
- Requirements for the Minors [pdf]
- Independent Study
- Junior Year Student-Faculty Conference
- Off-Campus Study
- Instructional Resources
- Filmmaking Resources
- Main Stage Productions & Film Series
- Talk-Back Night
- Audition Policy
- Performance Facilities
- Production and Shop Facilities
- Rules and Regulations for Use of Production and Shop Facilities
- Procedures for Requesting Use of Items
- Theater Production and Shop Positions and Their Responsibilities
- Paid Student Positions in TFMS
- The White Room
- TFMS Night
- Department Arts Alliance Awards
- The Kennedy Center American College Theater Festival (KCACTF) Awards
- Opportunities for Graduates
- Letters of Recommendation
- Core Play-Reading List for Theater Studies Majors [pdf]
- Core Film List for Film and Media Studies Majors [pdf]
- Check List: Theater Studies Major [pdf]
- Check List: Film and Media Studies Major [pdf]
- Guidelines and Application Procedures for St. Mary's Projects [pdf];
Application Form for St. Mary's Projects (pdf)
- Recommendation Release Form [pdf]
- Course Requirement Waiver or Substitution Form (pdf)
Where Are They Now?
Megan Rippey (class of 2008, B.A. women, gender, and sexuality studies, minor in theater studies) recently completed her M.F.A. in acting at the California Institute of the Arts (class of 2013).
Site maintained by:
Mark A. Rhoda
For comments about this site or suggestions for its improvement, contact: email@example.com
Checklist: Film and Media Studies MajorStudents should use this checklist as a recommended framework for completing the requirements of the film and media studies major. (For more information about the film and media studies curriculum and about course offerings in TFMS, visit the College Catalog.)
1. By Spring Semester of Sophomore Year
1. At least 20 credit hours of course work in the department; includes the following courses:
- TFMS 130: Idea into Performance
- TFMS 200: Theater in History or TFMS 300: Modern Theater
- TFMS 220: Introduction to Film and Media Studies
- TFMS 221: Film and Media Production Modes
- TFMS 228: Media Production I
C. Declared a TFMS major, film and media studies focus
2. By Spring Semester of Junior Year
1. At least 16 credit hours (or more) of course work in the film and media studies focus area
2. Satisfactory work on at least one major theater production in a position of responsibility. Students must enroll in TFMS 370: Studio (zero credit, pass/fail) in order to satisfy this requirement.
B. Optional: Submission of St. Mary's Project proposal, if planning to begin work in the coming fall semester.
- Students planning to undertake a St. Mary's Project (SMP) must submit a formal proposal that will fulfill the department and College guidelines for an SMP to their mentor no later than the eighth week of the semester preceding the academic year during which the work will begin.
A. If planning to attend graduate school after graduation from St. Mary's:
1. Begin writing/submitting applications to graduate schools of choice (M.F.A. applicants should schedule auditions or portfolio presentations)
2. Register for GRE (Graduate Record Examination), if necessary
B. Optional: St. Mary's Project (TFMS 493/494) (must be completed by spring semester)
4. By Spring Semester of Senior Year
Additional credit hours to satisfy requirements for graduation as a film and media studies major (12 credit hours, or fewer), including completion of a St. Mary's Project (if chosen to undertake one)
B. Satisfied all requirements for graduation from St. Mary's
5. Fall Semester of Each Year
TFMS Open House (mandatory for declared TFMS majors)
6. Spring Semester of Each Year
TFMS Night (optional)