Contact Us

Office of the Registrar
Phone: (240) 895-4336
18952 East Fisher Road
St. Mary's City, MD 20686

Q: How do I apply to graduate?

A: Students will need to log into the portal at least one year in advance of graduation and go to the “My Academics” page.  At the top of the page will be a link to apply for graduation.  You can always make a change to your graduation date after you apply if your plans change.

Q: When should I apply?

A: It is best to apply at least two semesters before you plan on graduating or when you have 90 credits.  You can always change your graduation date if your plans change. The graduation application will close each semester around two months before graduation.

Q: Why do I need to apply?

A: While typically students complete degree requirements within a specific time period, this may differ depending on the major.  Therefore, students must notify us of their internet to graduate.  If you do not apply for graduation, you will not be considered for graduation.

Q: What are the overall requirements for graduation?

  1. Completion of at least 128 credit-hours (credits), including at least 44 credit-hours of upper-division (300- and 400-level) courses, with a cumulative grade-point average of at least 2.00, both on an overall basis and in those courses that meet major requirements.
  2. At least 30 of the last 36 credit hours of academic work toward the degree must be SMCM courses.
  3. The Core Curriculum requirements.
  4. The requirements for a major field of study.

Q: What is Experiencing Liberal Arts in the World (ELAW)?

A: Experiencing Liberal Arts in the World will bridge the gap between academy and the world beyond, transcending the theory-praxis divide and giving extra meaning to their academic courses by applying their developing knowledge base to life experiences outside the boundaries of the college campus.

There are four general options for satisfying the Experiencing the Liberal Arts in the World requirement:

  1. Study Abroad
  2. Internship
  3. Independent Study or Directed Research With a Community Focus
  4. Experiential or Service Learning

All students must complete CORE350.

For more information about completing ELAW you can look in the course catalog.

Q: How much is graduation Fee?

A: $100.00 for undergraduate and graduate. This fee helps to cover the fees for preparing commencement, printing and delivering your diploma.

Q: Can I change the name that is on my diploma?

A: No, unless you have supplied The Office of the Registrar with official documentation of your change of name.

Q: When I look online it only has my middle initial for my name, can I make changes like this on my diploma?

A:  When you apply for graduation, you will have the option of indicating how you want your official name to appear on the diploma. Since we have to order diplomas so far ahead of time, you will not be able to make a change to the name that appears on your diploma once you are in your final semester.

Q: Do my transfer classes count in my GPA?

A: No, all classes that are accepted for transfer from another college will only count in your total credits.

Q: Do my transfer credits count for Latin honors?

A: You must take at least 64 credits at St. Mary’s, 56 which must be for letter grade, to receive Latin honors.

Q: How do repeated courses work?

A: If it is not indicated in the college catalog that a course may be repeated for credit and you take the course again, the most recent course will be the course that counts on your transcript. A course that is being repeated is not indicated as such on your transcript until grades have been submitted at the end of the semester.  Please keep this in mind as you calculate your credits, especially if you are in your last semester. For example: You are in your last semester and you decide to retake COSC130 for a better grade.  You are taking exactly 16 credits, including COSC130, to get to the total credit limit of 128 credits. The first time you took the course you received a C-.  At the end of the semester you receive an A in the course.  The A now replaces the C- and you lose the credits from when you took the course the first time.  Because you did not factor in the repeated course, you are now 4 credits short for graduation.

Q: I am going to be 4 credits short for graduation; can I still participate in Commencement?

A: No, St. Mary’s does not allow students to participate in Commencement unless they have completed 100% of their requirements for graduation.

Q: I did not attend commencement, where will my diploma be mailed?

A: We will mail your diploma to the current address in our system.  Please make sure to change your address if it has changed before you graduate.

Q: Can I take classes at another college during my last year at SMCM?

A: Yes, but you must complete at least 30 of the last 36 credit-hours of academic work toward the degree at St. Mary’s College.  

Q: What if I am taking a course at another college my last semester of SMCM to transfer back to SMCM so I can graduate?

A: As long as we receive a final transcript from the college you are attending three days prior to Commencement, you will be able to participate and receive your diploma.  If you are not able to get a final transcript, you can still have the professor of the course send us a letter letting us know what class you are taking, how many credits, and the final grade you will receive.  In this case you can participate in commencement, but you will not receive your diploma until we have received a final transcript.

Q: Who is responsible for making sure I will complete all of my graduation requirements?

A: Basically you as the student are. Advisors have a role in advising you along the way, but ultimately it is the student’s responsibility to be aware of all graduation requirements, including total, upper division, Core, and major/minor requirements.

Q: What if I don’t complete a minor at the time of graduation?

A:If you decide to graduate, then you will not be able to complete the minor.

Q: Can I take classes after I graduate to improve my GPA?

A:No, once you graduate your GPA will restart.