Office of the Registrar
Phone: (240) 895-4336
18952 East Fisher Road
St. Mary's City, MD 20686
Graduation is an important milestone in a student’s life. It is the culmination of years of study and hard work. Please read the following information as you prepare to graduate.
Steps to GraduationReview Graduation requirements with your advisor
- When you meet with your academic advisor during your advising appointment the semester before you plan on graduating be sure you review all of your graduation requirements (see below). It is important that you plan to have all of these requirements completed by the end of your last semester.
- Please note that if you are repeating a course and the course is not repeatable, you will not receive additional credit.
- In order to apply for graduation, log onto the portal and select the “My Academics” tab. Then select the “Apply for Graduation” link and follow the directions on the screen.
- The last day to apply for graduation is the last day of classes before the semester you plan on graduating. For example: If you plan on graduating spring 2013, you should apply for graduation by the end of the fall 2012 semester.
- If you do not apply, you may not be able to graduate!
- Completion of at least 128 credit-hours (credits), including at least 44 credit-hours of upper-division (300- and 400-level) courses, with a cumulative grade-point average of at least 2.00.
- Completion of at least 30 of the last 36 credit-hours of academic work toward the degree at St. Mary’s College. With the permission of the assistant vice president of academic services, this provision may be waived for students engaged in departmentally approved off-campus learning experiences.
- The Core Curriculum requirements.
- The requirements for a major field of study, to include the specific GPA requirements for the major.
Academic Policies Related to Graduation:
- A maximum of eight credit-hours of independent study work may be applied toward fulfillment of the student’s major requirements. Independent study taken to fulfill major requirements must be taken for a letter grade.
- A maximum of 16 credit-hours elected on the credit/no credit basis can be applied to graduation. For students transferring into St. Mary’s with 64 credit-hours or more, a maximum of eight credit-hours elected on credit/no credit basis can be applied to the degree.
- Students must take 30 of their last 36 credit hours at St. Mary's.
- Please refer to the St. Mary’s College of Maryland online catalog for a review of all Academic Policies.
- Family and friends may attend the Commencement. No tickets are required but seating is limited and is on first come first-serve basis.
- Only students who have finished all requirements for graduation will be allowed to attend and participate in Commencement.
- You must have a cap and gown to participate. The Campus Book Store will take your order. Do not wait until the last minute to place your order. Inquire about this by mid-semester.
- While there is no Commencement ceremony for those who graduate in December, the December graduates are welcome to participate in the commencement ceremony in May.
Other Reminders for Graduation:
- Pay your bills – You will not receive your diploma if you have an outstanding balance.
- If you receive financial aid, make sure to complete your exit interview.
- Make sure your address on file is up to date.