The first River Concert of the summer will be held this Friday at 7:00 p.m., with the grounds at the Townhouse Greens opening at 5:00 p.m.

Frequently Asked Questions

Below are a few Frequently Asked Questions about the SMCM Department of Public Safety. Please feel free to contact our office at (240) 895-4911 if you still have questions after reading the information below.

When is Public Safety open?

The Department of Public Safety is open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

How can I contact Public Safety?

Public Safety can be reached at extension 4911, or via non-campus phone at (240) 895-4911.

I have a visitor coming to campus. Where can they park?

Visitors to the College must come in to the Department of Public Safety to obtain a visitor parking pass. This pass allows them to park in any VISITOR lot on campus, with the exceptions of Lot O (Admissions), and the DPC parking lot.

I got a parking ticket. What do I do?

For Students: There are two methods for dealing with a College parking citation. If you wish to pay the ticket, you can go to the Business Office in Glendenning Hall or to your student portal account to pay the citation fee. If you wish to appeal a ticket, you can go to the Student Account section of your portal and go to the citation appeal area.

For non-students: Non-students must go to the Business Office in Glendenning Hall to appeal or pay any College citation.

What are the College's quiet hours?

The College's quiet hours are 11 p.m. to 8 a.m. from Sunday to Thursday, and from 1 a.m. to 10 a.m. from Friday to Saturday. Courtesy hours are in effect 24 hours a day.

How can I get a copy of a Public Safety Report?

To obtain a copy of a report, come by the Public Safety Office between 7 a.m. and 3 p.m. Monday through Friday.

Does Public Safety have a Lost and Found?

Yes, Public Safety maintains a property log of all property recovered or turned in to our office. Please call or come by to inquire about any lost items. Be prepared to offer a description of any item for verification.

I locked my keys in my car. Can Public Safety open it for me?

Yes, Public Safety is equipped with damage-free vehicle lockout kits and officers can open locked vehicles with keys inside.

My can won't start. Can Public Safety help?

Public Safety is equipped with jumper cables, and officers provide jumpstarts free of charge to all members of the College community.

Does Public Safety provide escorts for students?

Yes, Public Safety provides walking and vehicle escorts from dusk to dawn for all members of the campus community. These escorts are restricted to on-campus property only.