Participate in Studies
Students in Psyc 101 and Psyc courses offering extra credit for research participation: Click the logo and sign-up to participate in studies via the Research Participant Pool Website! Have a smart phone? Download the Free Sona Mobile app!
Not in a class offering extra credit for research participation? Participate in studies and be entered in our Psychology Research Data Collection Raffle!
Note: Only Faculty and student researchers (who have their mentor/instructor's permission) may setup an online survey via the system or the department’s Surveymonkey account. Online surveys can be distributed to the SMCM all-student e-mail population as part of the Psychology Research Data Collection Raffle. If you plan to use that population, you must note that in your IRB proposal.
1. After submitting your proposal for IRB approval, complete a "Study Set-Up Form" and then make an appointment to visit Angie Draheim to discuss your study needs and set up your researcher account on the system. Note: You should arrange to meet with Angie AT LEAST one week in advance of the date you plan to collect data.
2. Send Angie your experiment documents (consent, survey, debriefing) as e-mail attachments prior to your meeting (just sending a copy of your IRB proposal is fine).
3. Angie will help you set up the basic study information (including the study # assigned), determine which survey software is most appropriate for your study, and will provide you with a brief tutorial and "how-to" instructions for the software you are assigned.
4. Build & preview your survey using the "how-to" instructions provided.
5. Meet with Angie again or ask her via e-mail to review it. After this final review, your survey will be launched provided IRB approval has been received.
6. Instructions for awarding credit to participants and data retrieval will be included in the "how-to" document.
Very brief online surveys (< 15min)
If your study will be very brief (~5 minutes) you should attempt to combine it with another brief study so that participants can sign up for 15 min (.5 credit) or 30 min (1 credit) timeslots. The research pool administrator will help facilitate this process.
For more information, researchers can log-in to the system using their researcher account and check out the FAQ section.
Other Resources for Online Studies
If you are doing an online study that does not necessarily require the use of SMCM students as participants, you should also try to recruit participants outside of the research pool system so that we do not exhaust our limited participant resources.
For example, online participants may be recruited by posting a link to your study on one of the following sites:
If you plan to use these resources, you must be sure to indicate that in your IRB proposal.