Summer at St. Mary's
Professor Jeffrey Silberschlag conducting the Chesapeake Orchestra at the River Concert Series.
Study abroad in Italy
You can participate in the Alba Music Festival, two weeks of intensive music making in the north of Italy.
Information for prospective students
Why should you come to St. Mary's College of Maryland if you want to study music in college?
Whether you are thinking of being a music major, a music minor, or studying music while majoring in something else, please read on:
If you think you want to major in music in college, here are some great reasons to study at St. Mary's College of Maryland:
- We are small, which means you will get a LOT of personal attention.
- We have fabulous teachers for every standard instrument. Click HERE to see our faculty list (if you don't see your instrument listed, please get in touch with us, as we may still be able to find someone good for you to study with).
- We have academic offerings of the highest quality, with programs that can lead to graduate study in performance, musicology, music theory, composition, or education.
- You will have a lot of opportunity to perform. We have large ensembles and opportunities for chamber music. (Click HERE for performance opportunities.) We participate in a major international festival in Italy. (Click HERE for information about the Italian festival.) We have a terrific summer program for orchestral studies. (Click HERE for information about the summer programs.)
- You will be in a liberal arts setting, which means that your education will be wide ranging (click HERE to see information about the College's core curriculum).
- Our students are successful. We have placed students in top graduate programs in performance, musicology, and composition. Students pursuing music education are teaching music in the best Maryland schools.
If you want to major in something besides music, here is why you should consider St. Mary's College of Maryland:
- We have many music minors, double majors, and can work with you to make this possible.
- See ALL of the information under majors just above. We do NOT restrict the best parts of our program to majors and minors only. Even as someone not majoring or a minoring in music, you may have private lessons, play in the orchestra, sing in the chamber singers and choir, play in the jazz band, play in chamber music groups, participate fully in the Alba Music Festival.
- We will work with you at your level, beginner through advanced.
If you want further information, or would like to plan a visit to the music department, please contact Deborah Lawrence (just click on her name to send him an email).
For other contact information, please go to the contact information page.