Contact Us:

Office of Financial Aid
Glendening Hall, Room 130

Nadine Hutton

Rob Maddox
Associate Director

Denise Merican
Assistant Director

Doug Campbell
Assistant Director- Direct Lending

Marsha Wilcox
Financial Aid Coordinator


Office of Financial Aid
St. Mary's College of Maryland
18952 E. Fisher Rd
St. Mary's City, MD 20686

Financial Aid for MAT Students

All Master of Arts in Teaching (MAT) students are charged in-state tuition. Institutional grants or scholarships are not available for graduate students. Federal loan programs are available and a student may borrow for tuition, fees, books, and living expenses. Graduate students are considered independent students and they do NOT  include parental information on the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).

Financial Aid Application Procedures

  • Apply for a FAFSA PIN at If you have a PIN from applying for aid in the past, you can use the same PIN.
  • File the FAFSA by February 28
    • Indicate that the results should be sent to SMCM using Title IV code: 002095
    • In "Section 2: Dependency Status" check that you will be enrolled in a master's or doctorate program
    • Do NOT include your parental information
    • It is best to complete the FAFSA using your completed Federal Income Tax Return but, if necessary, you may use estimated information and update it later
  • Review the requirements for the Teach Grant Program and see if they match your career plans. Request an application for a Teach Grant from the Financial Aid Office if you decide to apply.

Direct Loans for MAT Students

There are two types of loans available for graduate students: unsubsidized loans and Grad PLUS loans. Unsubsidized loans and Grad PLUS loans accrue interest during all periods. Eligibility for loans is determined by the analysis of the FAFSA and is outlined in your award notification. All terms and conditions of these loans will be provided when you complete Entrance Counseling and sign a Master Promissory Note. 

Federal Direct Unsubsidized Loan

  • Interest Rate: Graduate students (for loans disbursed 7/1/13 - 6/30/14): 5.41%
  • Grace Period: You do not need to start making payments until 6 months after you graduate, leave school, or drop below half-time enrollment. Interest is charged on the loan during the grace period.
  • To apply for an unsubsidized loan:
    • You may accept the total amount awarded or reduce/accept the amount you wish to borrow by logging into your Portal account.
    • New Borrowers: If you have not previously taken out a Direct Loan, you must complete Entrance Counseling and a Master Promissory Note (MPN) at
      • Sign in to Manage My Direct Loan using your personal information and your FAFSA PIN
      • Complete Entrance Counseling. Make sure you receive a confirmation email.
      • Complete a Master Promissory Note (MPN) for Subsidized/Unsubsidized Loan. Make sure you submit the form and receive a confirmation email.

Federal Direct Grad PLUS Loan

  • Interest Rate: 6.41%
  • To apply for a Direct Grad PLUS loan:
    • You may accept the total amount awarded or reduce/accept the amount you wish to borrow by logging into your Portal account.
    • Complete a Federal Direct Grad PLUS Loan Request Form. The form is available on the Financial Aid section of the Portal. Return this form to the Financial Aid Office. The completed form may be faxed to (240) 895-4959 or emailed to
    • New Borrowers: go to and complete the following steps:
      • Sign in using your FAFSA Pin
      • Select: Complete PLUS Request Process. Be sure to select Graduate PLUS.
      • Complete all steps and submit
      • A message will appear informing you if your credit was approved or declined. If declined, contact the Financial Aid Office to discuss the alternatives available to you.
      • Go to Sign Master Promissory Note. Be sure to select Graduate PLUS.
      • Complete all steps, submit, and make sure you receive a confirmation message that your MPN has been submitted.


Make a budget.

  • In order to decide how much you need to borrow, you need to be able to project the expenses you will have that do not show up on your tuition bill: rent, utilities, books, transportation, medical insurance, etc.
  • Think about any resources you may have, other than financial aid, to help cover your expenses. 
  • There are many budgeting resources available online.

Look for outside scholarships.

  • Maryland State Delegate and Senatorial Scholarships may be used for graduate study but you may need to apply directly to your representative - see for more information.

Web-Based Resources for MAT Applicants


Learn About Loans

Federal Teach Grants

MD State Legislative Scholarships

Central Scholarship Bureau

Federal Loan Repayment Calculators

Income Based Repayment

Teacher Loan Forgiveness

Public Service Loan Forgiveness

MD State Teacher Loan Assistance