Getting Hands-On Experience
St. Mary's chemistry and biochemistry majors were busy this summer participating in research and medical internships on campus and around the country. Ashton Engdahl (above) spent her summer developing a green synthesis of functionalized pyrroles on campus with a paid research internship through our campus SMURF program.
Awards Aplenty in New Orleans
A generous contribution from the John J. Leidy Foundation allowed eight St. Mary's students to attend the 245th National Meeting of the American Chemical Society in New Orleans where they presented posters describing their research. Josh Olexa ('13) explains his poster to a judge, and former American Chemical Society president, in the Speak Simply Contest where students were judged on their ability to explain their research. St. Mary's was well represented, as Josh and Greg Triegger ('13) were both awarded for their posters.
Student Research Opportunities
- Independent Study in Chemistry
- St. Mary's Project
- SMCM Chemistry Faculty Interests and Research
- Leiden University Summer Research Student Exchange Program
- SMCM Career Center Internship Listing
- Chemistry Internet Resource for Research by Undergraduate Students (C.I.R.R.U.S.)
- National Science Foundation: Research Experiences for Undergraduates (REU) Site Locator
- Students.Gov Internships