Types of Internships & Other Experience
Internships are the best way to gain experience and explore prospective careers. We encourage all students participate in an internship at least once during their time as a student.
Internship can happen the following way:
- For academic credit through the Career Center
- To satisfy the ELAW requirement
- Through your academic department such as Political Science or Computer Science
- Independent of SMCM programs to gain experience
Volunteering is an excellent way to develop highly sought after transferable skills, learn about a specific field and build your resume. Below is a list of a few opportunities in Southern Maryland, but be sure to check out other non-profits in your area of interest.
- Volunteer Southern Maryland is hosted by CSM but open to everyone. This database lists dozens of local organizations and volunteer opportunities
- Volunteer as a mentor to a student in the St. Mary’s Public School System through the FLOW Mentoring Program
There are many opportunities to conduct research. The most valuable resource in this area is your faculty. They may have opportunities for on campus or local research. Additional opportunities are below: