St. Mary's College of Maryland

Residency Requirements

Resident and Non-Resident Students

It is the policy of the Board of Trustees of St. Mary's College of Maryland to recognize the categories of resident (in-state) and non-resident (out-of-state) students for the purposes of admission and tuition classification. These categories are determined by a student's financial dependency and permanent place of abode. A financially dependent student (claimed as a dependent for tax purposes) shall have his or her residency based on the permanent place of abode of his or her parent(s). The financially independent student (self-supporting and not appearing as a dependent on another person's income tax returns) shall have his or her residency based on his or her own permanent place of abode. To be considered a resident (in-state) student, the permanent place of abode must be in Maryland, and occupancy shall be for at least the last 12 consecutive months immediately prior to, and including, the last day of late registration for the forthcoming semester.

A full-time active member of the Armed Forces, the spouse of, or financially dependent child of such a person shall be granted in-state residency provided his or her home of residency is Maryland or that he or she resides in, or is stationed in, Maryland. This in-state residency status begins on the date the military assignment is effective. The dean of admissions and financial aid determines the residency status for the prospective student while the registrar is responsible for determining the residency status of the enrolled student. A student requesting a change in status must submit to the registrar a petition form (available from the Office of Admissions or the Office of the Registrar) and all appropriate documentation no later than the last day of late registration of the semester in which the change in status is requested. A student must notify the Office of the Registrar in writing within fifteen (15) days of any change that may alter his or her residency status. For further information or the policy on student residency classification, contact the Office of Admissions or Office of the Registrar.

Academic Load and Housing

To be eligible to live in College housing, a student must be enrolled in a minimum of 12 semester-hours each semester. Students who need to drop below 12 credits at some point during the semester must seek approval from the Associate Dean of Students in order to retain housing privileges.