St. Mary's College of Maryland, The Public Honors College
About St. Mary's

About St. Mary's: Key Facts

Key Facts


Institution

  • Public liberal arts mission, co-educational, non-religious.
  • Accredited by the Middle States Association of Colleges and Schools.
  • Official designation as a Public Honors College, one of only two nationally.
  • One of the top 5 public liberal arts colleges in the nation (U.S. News & World Report).
  • Member of the Council of Public Liberal Arts Colleges (COPLAC).

Location

  • 361-acre waterfront campus adjacent to historic St. Mary’s City, MD, founded in 1634. (Fourth oldest permanent English settlement in North America).
  • 70 miles southeast of Washington, D.C. and 95 miles south of Baltimore near the confluence of the Potomac River and the Chesapeake Bay.

Enrollment

  • Total enrollment (Fall 2013): 1,788 students.
  • 86% of St. Mary’s students reside in Maryland. The remaining 14% hail from 31 states and 30 nations.

Academics

  • 31 academic programs: 23 majors, 26 minors.
  • Degrees offered: Bachelor of Arts (B.A.), Master of Arts in Teaching (M.A.T.).
  • Popular degree programs: Biology, Economics, English, Political Science, Psychology.
  • 69% of St. Mary’s students major or minor in a second academic discipline.
  • 143 full-time faculty. 12 Fulbright scholars.
  • 10:1 student-to-faculty ratio, one of the lowest in the nation.
  • 27 study abroad programs. 53% of the graduating class of 2012 studied abroad.
  • 67% four-year graduation rate, highest of any public institution in Maryland.
  • Member of Phi Beta Kappa Honor Society.
  • Highest percentage of student-athletes on Capital Athletic Conference's All-Academic team for 6 years in a row.

Campus Life

  • 86% of St. Mary’s students live on campus.
  • 8 housing areas (coed and single sex halls, suites, apartments, and townhouses).
  • 17 NCAA Division III athletic teams (9 in women's sports, 8 in men's sports).
  • 106 student clubs and organizations.

Historical Dates

1840: The school was founded when the Maryland legislature authorized a lottery to finance the construction of a "female seminary" (girls' boarding school) in St. Mary's City.
1846: The school was incorporated by an act of legislation.
1927: St. Mary's became Maryland's first junior college.
1964: The school changed its name to St. Mary's College of Maryland.
1967: St. Mary's became a four-year baccalaureate college.
1992: The state General Assembly designated the school Maryland's public honors college; the state also granted the College an institutional status designed to assure stable public funding.

School Colors

Royal Blue, Yellow Gold, and White