The mission of Counseling Services is to provide support in a professional and confidential therapeutic setting for the psychological and developmental needs of students as they pursue academic goals and explore personal growth. We strive to be a resource for faculty and staff to assist with their interactions with students. When this mission is fulfilled, the quality of students' experience at St. Mary's is enhanced, and they are more likely to achieve academic and personal success.
Counseling Service staff create a safe, confidential atmosphere for students to receive support, mentoring and guidance though flexible, need-based, counseling services. Services provided by the Counseling staff assist students through the many challenges and opportunities they face during their formative college years. We promote mental health and wellness in our community through programming, prevention, intervention efforts, training, and consultation.
Goals derived from Counseling Services' mission statement
1. Promote the psychological and emotional wellbeing of students.
2. Enhance students' academic and personal functioning.
3. Educate our community on mental health issues.
4. Advocate for students challenged by mental health concerns.
5. Reduce stigma surrounding mental illness and seeking therapy.
6. Provide quality holistic care that respects dignity, privacy, and diversity in all forms.
7. Strive to promote and model civility in our interactions and respect for all people.
Our hours are Monday - Friday 8:00am to 5:00pm. We have Walk-in hours on Wednesdays from 1:00pm to 4:00pm.
For more information or to make an appointment, contact Counseling Services by phone: 240-895-4289, or by fax: 240-895-2239.